Bakersfield (Main Office)
100 E California Ave
Bakersfield, CA 93307
(661) 631-6000
(661) 631-6200 (TTY)

Becoming a Social Worker

Are you up for the challenge?

Like a doctor, I work to make sure families are healthy.

Like a teacher, I work to make sure children are educated.

Like a police officer, I work to protect children.

Like a lawyer, I work to ensure a child's rights
to a safe and permanent home.

Like a counselor, I work with families in crisis.

Innovation & Excellence

The Kern County Department of Human Services has earned a statewide reputation for its innovative ideas and program excellence.

The business of social work incorporates a variety of tasks into its function of providing services. Services are provided to the community's families, individuals and children through case management in the areas of Child Welfare and Employment Services.

Child welfare case management activities are individualized to meet the protective needs of each child requiring services, whether they remain in the home or in out-of-home placement. This includes relative placements and emergency shelter care.

CalWORKs Employment Services Program, also known as Welfare-to-Work, helps applicants and recipients of cash aid to prepare for work and find a job. Customized case plans are created and implemented based on the assessment of each individual's barriers and employability.

Comprehensive Employee Benefits:

  • Medical, Dental, Vision & Prescription Drug Plans and Sick Leave Benefits
  • Employee Wellness & Assistance Programs
  • Paid Vacation
  • Paid County Holidays
  • Service and Disability Retirement
  • Deferred Compensation
  • Flexible Work Schedules
  • Credit Union Eligibility
  • Longevity Pay
  • Tuition Assistance
  • M.S.W. Intern affiliation with Cal State Bakersfield

Social Service Worker I - III
Social Service Supervisor I

These positions require a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 12 semester or 20 quarter units in behavioral science. Additional education and/or Human Services casework experience are required for Supervisory and promotional levels II and III.

Social Service Worker IV
Social Service Supervisor II

These positions require completion of a Master's degree in Social Work, or a closely related discipline, and additional Human Services casework experience.

Areas of service for Social Workers throughout Kern County include:

  • Emergency Response
  • Court Intake
  • Court Review
  • Family Reunification
  • Family Maintenance
  • Permanent Placement
  • Adoption
  • Foster Care
  • Jamison Children's Center (Emergency Shelter)
  • Kinship Center
  • Domestic Violence
  • Licensing Unit
  • CalWORKs Employment Services
  • Training Units

Come to Kern County and Share Our Vision

Click to Apply for Benefits   Apply
Click for info on our Interactive Voice Response System   Interactive Voice Response System
  Automated Services by Phone
  Call 1-877-410-8812
Need to find an ATM that accepts EBT cards in your area and know the surcharge (cost)? Select or go to the following link:
Click for info on reporting Child Abuse   Report


DHS News

Purple Ribbon Keeping Kids Safe in and around Cars
 Kern Cares  Fact Sheet  Press Release
 Watch: "One Decision"  Channel 17 PSA
 Listen: KUZZ PSA

Families Formed With Love  Become a Resource
 Foster Family

 English Espanol

Water Safety Coalition logo Water Safety Coalition 2016
 Press Release
 Kern Water Safety Data
 PSA - "It Takes Only A Moment"

Safely Surrendered Baby Law  English PSA 1 2
 Spanish PSA 1 2
 more info...

JobFest 2016

Heart Gallery logo

  Heart Gallery of America

Healthy Choices Healthy Choices
 your access point to guidance
 on food and nutrition

KernStopMethNow logo

Public Service Announcements:
 Child Abuse  Child Abuse Prevention  Pool Safety
 "Who is watching your child?"
 Opportunities, Options, Empowerment
  English  1  2  3  Spanish  1  2  3

Combating Gang Violence
 Info  Interagency referral form
 Project 180  Garden Pathways (Facebook)
 New Life Training Center  Stay Focused


My voice. My choice. My vote. Election information.   Kern County Elections
  Sample Ballot/Polling Place
  Election Results

General Info

Administrative & Program Support Services CalWORKs Policy Guides
Child Protective Services Statistics DHS Contracts
DHS Jobs Employment & Financial Services Maps
Executive Staff Hotline Numbers
Information Mental Health Information
Office Hours & Locations Partners
Resource Directory:
English Spanish

Employee Links

Employee Email Employee Menu
Office 365 Virtual Office