CalFresh Program Highlights
CALFRESH HELPS FAMILIES AND INDIVIDUALS:
- Buy more healthy foods. Buy more fruits and vegetables year round for their family. Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Stay healthy by eating nutritious foods.
- Stretch their food budget to buy food for the whole family.
- MyPlate: English Spanish
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO:
- Receive an application when you ask for it and turn in your application the same day you receive it.
- Receive your CalFresh benefits (or be notified that you are not eligible for the program) within 30 days after you turn in your application.
- Receive CalFresh benefits within three (3) days if you are eligible and have little or no money.
- Have a fair hearing if you disagree with any action taken on your case.
YOU CAN APPLY FOR CALFRESH BENEFITS BY DOING ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Apply Online: C4Yourself, or
- You may request an application in person, by phone, by fax, by mail, or at the California Department of Social Services - CalFresh Program website. Your application starts the day the county receives your signed application. You will receive an appointment by mail for an interview by phone or you may ask to complete your interview in person, or
- Apply in person at your local Human Services office, especially if you need CalFresh benefits right away, or call the CalFresh Application Line at 661-631-6062. Leave your name and address and the application form will be mailed to you with a return envelope. Mail the completed, signed application forms in the envelope. Your application starts the day the county receives your signed application. You will receive an appointment by mail for an interview by phone or you may ask to complete your interview in person, or
- You can fax the completed, signed application form to 661-631-6573. Your application starts the day the county receives your signed application form.
- Or by calling IVR at 1-877-410-8812
DOCUMENTS THAT WILL BE NEEDED:
- At the time of your interview, please bring verification with you of your income and expenses. If you need assistance in obtaining this information, please discuss this with your CalFresh worker at the time of the interview. The following are examples of what to bring:
- Proof of identity (driver's license, etc.), alien status. Using CalFresh will not affect your immigration status or the immigration status of your family.
- Social Security Numbers for all household members.
- If employed, proof of income (wage stubs, earning statements, etc.) for the past 30 days.
- Proof of shelter costs (rent or mortgage payment, lot rent, household, real estate, taxes, utility bills - heat, electricity, water/sewage/garbage, telephone, etc.)
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES ARE TO:
- Answer all questions completely and honestly when you apply for CalFresh benefits. Sign your name to certify, under penalty of perjury, that all your answers are true.
- Report all income, household composition, citizenship and other required data. Computer matches reveal data regarding payroll records, noncitizen status, property and social security. Failure to give full and correct information is punishable by law.
- Not put your money or possessions in someone else's name in order to be able to get CalFresh benefits.
- Use CalFresh benefits only to buy eligible items. CalFresh benefits may be used only for the purchase of food to be prepared at home, certain prepared foods, or for seeds to grow your own food.
- Unless exempted for some reason, all adults must be involved in job search activities.
- Eligible households will receive a California State Advantage Card (EBT) in the mail or at the office. Benefits are available on a staggered schedule, one-tenth of CalFresh households receive them on the first working day of the month, the next tenth on the second working day, and so on for the first 10 working days of each month. Using CalFresh benefits for any other purpose, or buying or selling CalFresh EBT cards, is punishable by law.
- Not sell, trade, or give away your CalFresh benefits, or any CalFresh cards or documents.
- Promptly report changes in household circumstances to your worker. Eligible households will call the Department of Human Services Customer Assistance Telecenter to report changes and/or ask questions regarding their CalFresh (or Medi-cal) eligibility. The CAT phone number is 1-877-410-8812.